Created from Indian Auxiliary and Territorial Force units transferred from the Indian Army when Burma separated from India in April 1937. The Burma Auxiliary Force consisted of British and Anglo-Burmans and Anglo-Indians while the Burma Territorial Force was mainly Burmese. The BTF was generally regarded as being equipped and trained for internal security duties only.
In 1937 the Burma Territorial Force units were:
An additional battalion was raised at the war's start:
By October 1940 there 1,832 officers and men on strength:
Early in 1941, all battalions were authorised
to raise additional companies, the 11th and 12th
Battalions one company each and the 13th Battalion, an additional
two companies. In addition, the 12
Mechanical Transport Section was raised.
The strength return for February 1941 shows the following:
On 1st April 1941, the 12th
Battalion was officially embodied and authorised to raise a fifth company for
the defence of Mingaladon aerodrome.
It seems the
additional companies raised by the 13th Battalion were used at
least in part to raise a new battalion, authorised and embodied on 15th
The 14th Battalion comprised initially of a Battalion Headquarters and three rifle companies, one of which was to be created by the transfer of a rifle company from the 13th (Shan States) Burma Rifles. The role of the battalion was to be largely static, being employed as aerodrome guards at Namsang and Heho. The third company was to be a Reserve Company providing reinforcements for both the 13th and the 14th Battalions. The new battalion was equipped with four medium machine guns and four light machine guns. It was embodied from the date on which it was raised.
During and after the retreat in 1942, the majority of personnel of the BTF remained in Burma with the exception of a very few officers and men who were either reposted or discharged after arrival in India.
 WO 172/984.
24 September, 2014